The Poll Worker 2024 elections will begin in the fall of 2023.
All poll workers must complete poll worker training, and plan to work at their polling place on Election Day from 6 a.m. until the last voter has voted, closing procedures have been completed, and you are dismissed by the Clerk. Poll workers will also help set up their polling place the day before the election. (Poll workers who help with set up receive a small additional stipend.)
The Clerk is in charge of the overall management of the tasks, activities and poll workers in the polling place. The Clerk ensures that order is maintained, policies and procedures are followed, and the election team performs its duties correctly.
The Assistant Clerk assists the Clerk and is ready and available to serve as Clerk in the event the Clerk is unable to perform his or her duties. The Assistant Clerk uses an electronic poll book to verify voter information and communicates with the Supervisor of Elections Office to resolve voter eligibility issues.
An Inspector sets up and maintains our electronic poll books used for voter check-in and our DS200 ballot scanners/tabulators. They also rotate positions to check voters in using an electronic poll book, issue ballots, instruct voters on where and how to mark and cast their ballot, and hand out our popular "I Voted" stickers.
A Deputy maintains order outside the polling place, assists in marking the no solicitation zone, ensures compliance with the no solicitation zone, and ensures that the polling room is accessible to all voters.
- Approximately 25% of our Election Day poll workers serve in positions during the two weeks of Early Voting prior to Election Day.
- Early Voting poll worker assignments require a seven-day work commitment and work days alternate over the two weeks of Early Voting.
- Early Voting poll workers must also commit to work on Election Day.
- Start and end times will vary, depending on the Early Voting schedule.
- Poll workers work until the final voter of the day has left and end of day duties are completed.
- Some Early Voting workers will be assigned to assist with setting up their site prior to the first day of Early Voting.
- All Early Voting poll workers assist with closing and packing up their site on the last day of Early Voting.
POLL WORKER PAY
|Early Voting hourly rate
Assistant Clerk: $16/hour
Election Day lump sum
(lump sum includes training
and working Election Day)
Assistant Clerk: $368
|Hillsborough County Employees
utilizing Civic Leave
(civic leave stipend includes training
and working Election Day)
Assistant Clerk: $184