I’m asking you to offer your employees a truly meaningful way to participate in our democracy – by joining our team as an Election Day poll worker.
Elections are everybody’s business. Our large, diverse electorate puts us in the national spotlight, and we all have a stake in ensuring that voting is easily accessible and that elections are run with efficiency, accuracy and integrity. Every election, it’s a challenge to recruit several thousand poll workers to run our polling places.
Why? Because many of our tech-savvy, customer-oriented, problem-solving citizens are at work on Election Day. You can solve that problem.
As a VoteHillsborough partner, you will:
- Nominate at least one person to work as a 2024 poll worker for the Presidential Preference Primary (March 19), the Primary Election (August 20) and the General Election (November 5).
- Give participants time to meet poll worker requirements:
- Training (up to 5 hours)
- Set up, the Monday before Election Day (approximately 2 hours)
- Election Day (from 6 a.m. until approximately 8 p.m.)
- Make this a sustaining program, by offering employees this opportunity each election cycle.
This unique employee development program fosters a sense of civic pride, increases community involvement, and further develops customer service, problem-solving and leadership skills.
At the same time, it benefits our democracy. Poll workers learn from doing. Being part of the enormous effort that goes into conducting elections leads to a sense of confidence in our elections, and increases the likelihood that they will vote regularly and encourage their friends and family to vote, too. Our community is more cohesive, forward-thinking and successful when we have confidence in the process we use to elect our leaders.
One more thing. By law, we pay all of our poll workers for the work they do. So while you’re giving employees the time off to participate, they’ll also make some extra money.
How to Get Involved
Is your organization ready to take on this challenge? Get started with these two easy steps!